Today was our first Google Project day in band. I wasn't at band (because I was home sick), but I was still able to create this blog.
In reflecting on last year's project, which was the concept and eventual execution of playing trumpet and piano at the same time (and can be found at joel-band.blogspot.com), I realize that I want something that will take slightly less time (because last year I had to learn the music for both trumpet and piano to a point of almost memorization so I was able to play both at the same time, and then had to record it and video-edit it).
So, since most of the band members are required to play at a majority of the football games this year, I decided that this time I would simply arrange music that's already been written for pep band. I will probably end up using the program Finale, since I have had a small amount of experience with it Freshmen year.
The song I plan to start with is Stevie Wonder's "Sir Duke" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sIjSNTS7Fs). I picked it because I've heard it played before without a vocal part, with the melody being played by instruments like the sax and trumpet. Also, since it's only 4:00 and very repetitive, I think it won't be too difficult to shorten down to a good pep ban length. Plus, it's already got the makings of a good trumpet part (I play trumpet). You can't have enough pep band songs with good trumpet parts.
- Joel
No comments:
Post a Comment